Tuesday, April 21, 2009

TEENS FROM A DIFFERENT VIEW

I am so happy that I was able to view several of the videos on Listen Up! Many of the videos show a different side of teens rather than the ones that are portrayed and stereotyped as being "bad, alien life form, disrespectful... A lot of the videos that I watched were positive ones, but some were negative as well. They were about topics that are relevant and common in the lives of teenagers. Topics like GLBT, abuse, suicide, school, drinking, and sex are discussed.

I was really enjoying the site until I came across some of the more negative videos. The teens were not being serious about the topic nor where they necessarily teaching something good in the end. This is one that really bothered me, check it out!

These teenage views and thoughts are taken more seriously by the teens that view them (at least I think) because they are not being done by adults. Instead they are from the voices and perspectives of teens. Therefore, teens will want to listen, watch, and learn from them because it seems more like reality to them.

Even there are some negative videos on the site I still enjoyed it. I think that it is a good way for teens to teach others and express themselves. Things like this should be brought up in schools so that many teens can get involved in advocating for real life topics like these.

If I am substitute teaching the teens and need something to do with them, I might mention of do some work with this site. I think that there can be some very good things learned from it.

Off the top of my mind I cannot think of any other site that is exactly like this. I mean there are things like YouTube, but EVERYTHING is on that. I am sure that teens look up other things rather than stuff that is talked about and expressed on the Listen Up! site I am running out of time to search the web now, but I'll doing it another time. This topic/site is interesting and I definitely think it should be talked more about in the WMST350 class.

2 comments:

  1. Kerri, you did an excellent job using this blog as a thinking space. I hope you will consider using blogs with your own students someday!!

    LB :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dr. Bogad I'm not sure if you are going to get this or not, BUT I will definately try to use blogs with my students. I think they are fun and a great learning experience. Thanks for introducing them to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete