Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sittenfeld Novel

Author and Title:
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld


Some things I understand...
I enjoyed reading the book and I was able to see the points that the author was making. Even though the story is fiction it felt a little real. The story is about his girl, Lee who is learning about herself. She is learning things like her gender, how to "fit in", and about other stereotypical ideas of things (gender, race, class, etc). The novel shows how hard it can be to be a teenager. Having to grow up and try to find out what is wrong or right, good or bad, and having to face many new obstacles and experiences. I could feel for Lee when I was reading the story... She was being blamed for something that she did not do and had to face her classmates. If I was Lee I would want to crawl under a rock due to all of the things that come up in the novel. Curtis Sittenfeld uses some real life stereotypes and actions in his novel. If it was on the television it would be a "perfect show" just like all of the other media things that are out there.


Some things I don't understand...
-I thought the parts of the novel were a good read, I was not confused by it at all (well at least I think, but I'll find out during class discussion!)
--I had to get used to reading with lots of dialogue, its been a while and sometimes I get side tracked with who is saying what.
---I went online to view the entire book and i viewed the chapter titles. As I looked at the titles I wondered, "what could that be about?" The wondering makes me want to read more because I have some questions that need to be answered.

Connections to other texts or course themes...
- The story relates to the course itself... TEENAGERS. I liked how it was a different way to view and "get a hold" on teenagers.
--I think that it had a relationship with the course them of Teenagers are not some alien life form. Teenagers are people just like children and adults and they deserve respect and should not be so stereotyped.

Questions/Comments/Points to share...
-How do younger generations (teens) feel when they read this novel?
--I enjoyed reading parts of the novel and think that I might read the entire book :)
---I think the story made some good points and it made me think about teenagers and how they are treated or mistreated.

1 comment:

  1. you should go check out some reviews and see if any kids actually read and wrote about it...

    ReplyDelete