Sunday, February 1, 2009

MEDIA LITERACY

When I was exploring "media literacy" I was able to find many different things about it...

My first finding was the wikipedia definition of media literacy. "is the process of accessing, analyzing, evaluating and creating messages in a wide variety of media modes, genres and forms (Wikipedia)." It also stated that the process helps people to discover findings of "propaganda, censorship and bias" (Wikipedia). I can't say that I agree or disagree with the definition because I have not given it much thought before and I need to do some more research and come to a conclusion of what I think it is.

http://www.ced.appstate.edu/departments/ci/programs/edmedia/medialit/article.html
This site was okay... it gave some more information on what media literacy is, who teaches it, how to teach it, and what to look for. There was lots of reading to go through and the site was not eye catching, although it was informational. The site explained to the viewer that media literacy is looking at both print and non-print in various ways (analyzing, evaluating, communicating).

http://www.main.nc.us/cml/
This is a site that is put up by the non-profit organization of Citizens of Media Literacy. The site has various links to click on and find just what the viewer is looking for (or not looking for). The Citizens of Media Literacy does some of the following: "promotes citizens' responsibility for free speech rights, provides assistance to citizen activists and journalists on issues related to the Freedom of Information Act and Open Records laws, publishes media analysis and criticism, such as
Sinclair Media Watch, promotes public access to the media environment, especially via cable TV and the Internet." (Citizens of Media Literacy, 1999). I enjoyed the site and it seems like the organizations is doing great things.


http://www.pbs.org/teachers/media_lit/quiz.html
A site with a quiz. It was made up of media/children/teens and other types of ?'s. I took the quiz of 15 questions and my score was a 6 which is wayyyy low. I guess I don't know all the right answers... and I don't know much about media literacy.

http://pbskids.org/dontbuyit/
This site is great for kids to use and educate themselves on the media. There are spots to click on advertisements and how the people make things look so good to get their attention. Other spaces to click were music and t.v. I don't know the site is hard to explain everything on it, so check it out for yourself. Make sure to click on everything... I think its really educational and even though it is more for kids, it was able to help me learn. As a teacher I might use it in the future with the students.

Overall, there is SO MUCH out there on media literacy. I had trouble determining what to click on and what would be important. Some things I found were good and some were not. I think that anyone could spend countless hours finding things on media literacy and it would never end.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kerri!! The last article seems like a good one. I agree that it could be useful for kids in the future as they continue to grow in the world we live in today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what i was hoping you would do here... just explore to see what is out there! We will use these in class on Tue night. :)

    ReplyDelete